BizLab’s Business Technology Analytics Lead will facilitate in the execution and the evaluation of digital revenue experiments conducted by WBUR, both at WBUR and at public radio stations across the country. BizLab’s mission is to identify and evaluate new revenue models for public radio, and a core set of these concepts are related to digital innovation and technologies. The person in this role will be the technology lead for all experiments, identifying the right technologies (either custom built or third party platforms) for each opportunity, leading the deployment of the technologies, and evaluating the success of the implementations. This role will fill a need for overall analytics and business technology adoption, identifying key opportunities where technology may be leveraged to improve business efficiency, enhance employee collaboration, and advance engagement with our listeners.
Also see the official job post on BU’s website.
- Collaborate with other public radio stations to facilitate their adoption of successful technologies to evaluate new revenue streams.
- Take a lead role on delivering new digital experiences, from conception to adoption, that will test new revenue streams. Example ideas include:
- Designing and overseeing development of Alexa Skills for WBUR donors.
- Creating automated newsletters and revenue campaigns targeted towards certain types of listeners.
- Designing and overseeing development of mobile features for micro-donations in the WBUR mobile app.
- In order to accomplish the above responsibilities, leverage applications and analytics tools, for example:
- Work with user and customer analytics tools such as Google Analytics, Salesforce, & Allegiance.
- Work with marketing, social, and communication tools such as Google Ad Words, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google DFP, Constant Contact, & MailChimp.
- Work with content creation and distribution tools such as WordPress, Alexa and smart speakers, and podcast hosting services.
- Work with e-commerce tools such as Shopify, CyberSource, and Stripe.
- Identify opportunities to improve the scalability of successful experiments.
- Identify opportunities to add value to existing channels through the use of technology.
- Advise other departments on analytics and QA.
- To keep informed of digital innovations relevant to nonprofit media, attend technology conferences, digital journalism events, and meeting with technology start-ups and large tech firms (e.g. Amazon, Google, Facebook) about potential collaborations.
First Quarter Activities :
- Familiarize yourself with existing technology platforms at WBUR
- Participate in user-centered design workshops and investigations, to identify opportunities for WBUR
- As the project lead on an revenue experiment at WBUR
- Execute an experiment that answers a business question about engagement or revenue.
- Install, deploy, or use the technology platforms needed to accomplish experiment.
- Deliver findings and recommendations to key stakeholders
- Work with developers (internal or external, TBD) to implement the features and capabilities, guiding their scope and design, and testing their deliverables.
- Set up analytics tools and processes to gauge each experiment’s success with clearly-defined metrics, facilitating clear recommendations to WBUR leadership.
First Year Activities
- Work with multiple public radio stations across the country, supporting their experimentation. This role will be responsible for setting up technology, administering logins, training teams on best practices, setting up templates and/or examples, and assisting in their data analysis.
- When a station does not have the capability to do data analysis, this role will perform data analysis and assist in the station’s data-driven decision-making.
- A successful first year concludes with:
- Solid data analysis from WBUR’s and other stations’ experiments, presented to multiple stakeholders.
- New technology and processes adopted by WBUR and other stations.
- Piloted technology is under consideration for full rollout, at WBUR and other stations.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Maintains focus on market technology trends & innovations. Strong ability to identify opportunities and develop from abstract to tangible concept.
- Ability to train people who do know how to use a tool and get them up-to-speed enough to work independently in the tool
- Ability to communicate the benefits of technology adoption to key stakeholders.
- Ability to demonstrate success or failure of initiatives through the use of quantitative analytics and infographics.
- At least 5 years experience in business technology and data analytics.
- At least 2 years experience in application development and delivery.