WBUR’s BizLab is an innovation lab focused on testing new revenue models for public media. It is funded by WBUR*, the Lenfest Institute, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, and the Knight Foundation. We have a collective belief that investing in innovation and experimentation is our best path towards identifying new revenue channels to sustain public media into the future.
This consultant role will take the lead on exploring a specific set of ideas for new revenue that are related to affiliate marketing, corporate sponsorship, and revenue sharing. Currently, WBUR earns revenue through affiliate revenue related to our author interviews and book recommendations. We would like to expand this beyond the domain of books, to explore how WBUR could earn revenue through other product recommendations and new corporate partnerships.
We are looking for a part-time consultant who is available approximately 20 hours a week, on a project-by-project basis. The first project is a four month commitment (February – May 2019), with potential to extend beyond and increase hours. The position is located in Boston.
Roles and Responsibilities
We are looking for a hands-on consultant who can take a new business concept and create a structure for evaluating it. This is a combination of creating financial models, talking with potential customers, creating pilot products, and negotiating terms with potential partners. The responsibilities include:
- Oversee a specific project to branch out our content that earns affiliate revenue. So this means understanding the basics of affiliate marketing, identifying the best opportunities for WBUR, and rolling out the project.
- As this role expands, you will assess the business revenue potential of different new concepts or opportunity space, through market research, talking to potential customers, and creating a financial model of the revenue. Analyze the strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities within an industry, to determine if WBUR should pilot a product in this area.
- Seek out, initiating, and managing relationships with external business partners.
- Partner with underwriting (sales), editorial, and business teams to identify and flesh out new concepts for revenue.
- Negotiate business terms with external partners.
- Work with the BizLab team to develop pilots, prototypes, and mockups of concepts.
- Hire freelance content creators, as needed, and manage their delivery of product content.
- Bachelors required. Masters or MBA preferred. Current MBA student looking for a part-time job encouraged to apply.
- Understand digital marketing practices and how the affiliate marketing business works.
- Experience creating financial models of new business ventures. Able to identify business opportunities through market analysis and product-market fit analysis.
- Experience creating new business proposals, including value proposition of new concepts, and testing business concepts with potential customers.
- Experience overseeing the performance of new programs and products. After testing a product concept, can summarize the lessons learned such that the team knows what to do for the next test.
- Experience with Facebook Business Manager, Google AdWords, Google Analytics, and/or affiliate marketing platforms
- Thrives in experimental, iterative environments. Familiar with the concepts of Design Thinking, Lean Startup, and Agile.
Submit your resume/CV and a cover letter to email@example.com.
* WBUR is Boston’s NPR news station, reaching millions of weekly listeners with nationally-known programming and podcasts such as On Point, Here & Now, Only A Game, and Modern Love. It also ranks as the largest local newsroom in Boston; over 500,000 Boston listeners turn on 90.9 on each week.